Blog Archive

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Last night at the Cake Shop..

Last night, I stopped by the Cake Shop in Brooklyn to see the mighty Government Warning on what is supposedly their last tour with Night Birds, Perdition and Ex-Humans.
Government Warning
Once I got in, I waited around a while with a few friends for the show to start. They were playing Really Red so that was a nice start of course. Once time came, the show was opened up by Ex Humans. I had never really heard them before but once they started playing, I was way into it. They were really fun, very catchy, and sort of reminded me of CH3. They even covered 'Television Addict' by the Victims which was sweet. I picked up their album and it's great. Everyone should check it out if you haven't already.
Next up was Perdition, who I'd always heard so much about but, again, never really heard them before. They were pretty interesting. Very loud, noisy, and raw. The pit was pretty brutal for them. I saw kids knocking into the speakers and bodies just flying. People went crazy. I picked up their 'kassett' (I don't really know why they spell it like that, either) which is just as noisy and destructive as they are live. Again, totally worth checking out if you haven't already.
Next came the moment that the all powerful Night Birds took the stage. Being a huge fan, I had to be the asshole who was singing along the whole time. I'm pretty sure I spent most of their set clutching Brian's shoulders and screaming in his face. But, hey, I had a good time and apparently he did, too, since I talked to him after and he gave me a free shirt and was excited that people knew the words. Hell, if people knew the words to my music I'd be pretty stoked, too. They were all really cool guys. Of course, Joe Keller was in the magnificent Ergs! and that instantly gives them credibility, as well as the fact that Mike was in Hunchback who also ruled. Their set was a lot of fun. They played a new song that's gonna be on their LP which should come out soon (or so I hope!).
Finally, to end the night came the best of our generation, Government Warning. The set started off and everyone just broke out in smashing into eachother, climbing people's heads, and all of that fun stuff that a punk show needs. This was the first (and apparently last) time I had seen them so it's needless to say that I was really stoked (but I'm going to say it anyways). Their live performance was one of the most fun I'd ever caught. They played many favorites and eventually the lights went out yet everyone kept pitting (either the worst idea ever or the greatest idea ever thought of). When they came back on, they only had a few songs left. They played 'Arrested' and covered 'No Class' by Reagan Youth which was great. I had bet my friend that they were gonna cover Reagan Youth so I guess I won. Awesome. Anyways, it was a great time. I talked to them after the set and they were pretty funny dudes.
So, as much as I may absolutely blow at reviewing / summing up shows, I'll just say this: If this really is Government Warning's last tour and you've never seen them, either catch the rest of these bands or quit life forever.